Postdoc Appreciation Week
September 16-20, 2019
Postdoc Achievement Awards
Nominations are now open for the second annual Postdoc Achievement Awards at Cornell University, co-sponsored by the Office of Postdoctoral Studies and the Office of the Vice Provost for Research.
To nominate a postdoc, please complete the online nomination form by the August 16 nomination deadline. The awards will be presented during National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 16-20, 2019. The selected awardees in each category will receive $500 and a plaque.
The Postdoc Achievement Awards honor and showcase postdocs who have made outstanding contributions to community or organizational change and show a commitment to promoting equity and inclusion at Cornell and/or throughout society as a whole. Every year, at least one of each of the following awards will be granted to deserving postdocs:
Achievement Award for Excellence in Leadership
This award recognizes postdocs who demonstrate innovative, initiative-driven leadership impacting their academic, work or community environments. Those who receive this award have shown a commitment to developing academic and civic responsibility in themselves and others with an emphasis on equity and inclusion.
Achievement Award for Excellence in Community Engagement
This award recognizes postdocs who have fostered postdoc communities and involvement on campus, or participated in outreach projects that connect Cornell with public needs. Those who receive this award have significantly contributed to the betterment of the targeted community and/or appreciation for Cornell within the public community.
Achievement Award for Excellence in Mentoring
This award recognizes postdocs who have fostered inclusion and equity in higher education through exemplary mentorship and/or outreach activities within the Cornell and local community. Those who receive this award have shown an unwavering commitment to promoting the growth, personal and professional development of students and trainees of diverse backgrounds.
Read about the 2018 Postdoc Award winners:
- Postdocs honored with achievement awards, Cornell Chronicle (September 24, 2018)
Please contact Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies at email@example.com
Featured Postdoc Appreciation Week Events
Postdoc Pizza Party and Awards Reception
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- 5:00-7:00 pm
- Big Red Barn
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, September 20, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- Location TBA
- Discussion leaders: Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies, and Colleen McLinn, Executive Director of CIRTL at Cornell
- To cap off Postdoc Appreciation Week, we will have a fun and confidential opportunity to get your questions about the job search answered. Graduate students and visiting scholars are also welcome. Lunch provided. RSVP required.
- RSVP for September 20
Postdoc Research Spotlights
Starting in September, meet amazing Cornell postdocs and hear about their research through web spotlights. The features will be posted on the Office of Postdoctoral Studies Facebook page, in the Graduate School’s spotlights section, CIRTL at Cornell and Office of Postdoctoral Studies webpages, and the @CornellGrad and @CUFutureFaculty twitter accounts.
2018’s Featured Postdocs:
- Monday: Daniel Mutyambai, Atkinson Center for Sustainability and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
- Tuesday: Laura Giurge, Management and Organizations, Johnson School of Management
- Wednesday: Josh Strable, School of Integrated Plant Science
- Thursday: Luisa Cortesi, Science and Technology Studies and Anthropology
- Friday: Maxim Shcherbakov, Applied and Engineering Physics