Postdoc Appreciation Week
September 16-20, 2019
- Tuesday, September 17, 2019
- 2:00-3:00 pm
- Meet at Caldwell Hall (Ag Quad Entrance)
- Join fellow postdocs in a walk to the Dairy Bar for ice cream (or non-dairy sorbet). The first 20 postdocs to arrive at the departure point will receive vouchers for one scoop of free ice cream or sorbet of choice. Please let us know if you prefer to meet up at the Dairy Bar for geographical reasons (email email@example.com)
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- 5:00-7:00 pm
- The Big Red Barn
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, September 20, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm – RSVP for discussion
- 221 Weill Hall
- Discussion leaders: Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies, and Colleen McLinn, Executive Director of CIRTL at Cornell
- To cap off Postdoc Appreciation Week, we will have a fun and confidential opportunity to get your questions about the job search answered. Graduate students and visiting scholars are also welcome. Lunch provided. RSVP required.
- Note: Event is now at capacity, please contact email@example.com for more information
Postdoc Meetup at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Friday, September 20, 2019 from 2:30 to 3:30 pm
- Johnson Center for Birds and Biodiversity (159 Sapsucker Woods Road)
- Refreshments, informal socializing, and a chance to chat with the Director of Postdoctoral Studies, Christine Holmes, off campus
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicki Martin (vym2)
During September 16-20, meet amazing Cornell postdocs and hear about their research through web spotlights. These features will be posted on the Graduate School Spotlights webpage, Office of Postdoctoral Studies and CIRTL at Cornell websites, on the Office of Postdoctoral Studies Facebook page, and the @CornellGrad and @CUFutureFaculty twitter accounts.
2019 Postdoc Spotlights:
- Monday: Claire Meaders, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Tuesday: Kawasi Lett, Biomedical Engineering
- Wednesday: Elizabeth Day, Bronfenbrenner Center for Translational Research
- Thursday: Lin Yao, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Awardees will soon be announced for the second annual Postdoc Achievement Awards at Cornell University, co-sponsored by the Office of Postdoctoral Studies and the Office of the Vice Provost for Research.
To nominate a postdoc, please complete the online nomination form by the August 16 nomination deadline. The awards will be presented during National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 16-20, 2019. The selected awardees in each category will receive $500 and a plaque.
The Postdoc Achievement Awards honor and showcase postdocs who have made outstanding contributions to community or organizational change and show a commitment to promoting equity and inclusion at Cornell and/or throughout society as a whole. Every year, at least one of each of the following awards will be granted to deserving postdocs:
Achievement Award for Excellence in Leadership
This award recognizes postdocs who demonstrate innovative, initiative-driven leadership impacting their academic, work or community environments. Those who receive this award have shown a commitment to developing academic and civic responsibility in themselves and others with an emphasis on equity and inclusion.
Achievement Award for Excellence in Community Engagement
This award recognizes postdocs who have fostered postdoc communities and involvement on campus, or participated in outreach projects that connect Cornell with public needs. Those who receive this award have significantly contributed to the betterment of the targeted community and/or appreciation for Cornell within the public community.
Achievement Award for Excellence in Mentoring
This award recognizes postdocs who have fostered inclusion and equity in higher education through exemplary mentorship and/or outreach activities within the Cornell and local community. Those who receive this award have shown an unwavering commitment to promoting the growth, personal and professional development of students and trainees of diverse backgrounds.
Read about the 2018 award winners
- Postdocs honored with achievement awards, Cornell Chronicle (September 24, 2018)
Please contact Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies at email@example.com