Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs
Since 2016, the two-day Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs has been offered annually as a collaboration between the Center for Teaching Innovation (CTI) and CIRTL at Cornell.
The next institute will be March 8-9, 2019!
Apply to participate
The mission of the Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs at Cornell is to:
- Bring aspiring educators together to engage proactively in complex discussions about aspects of diversity at Cornell and beyond.
- Support early career academics and professionals in incorporating inclusive teaching practices into their classrooms.
- Foster curiosity in continued personal and professional growth, individually and collaboratively, on matters of diversity in higher education.
By participating in the Inclusive Teaching Institute, participants will:
- Explore your own social identities to increase awareness of how those inform your teaching
- Consider how to use the framework to guide your planning for increasing inclusive teaching practices.
- Examine complexity of student experience and identity development
- Categorize things that impact classroom climate
- Identify inclusive teaching strategies
- Explore the LARA method for communication with guest facilitators from the Intergroup Dialogue Project
About the Inclusive Teaching Institute
Who? The institute is aimed at graduate students and postdocs* who are committed to teaching across abilities and incorporating various experiences while ensuring that the classroom space is a place for all to learn without hesitation or prejudice.
*e.g., postdoctoral associates and fellows, research associates, etc.
What? The institute is a two-day retreat, and the agenda has been put together by a committee of staff from the Cornell University Center for Teaching Innovation and Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL at Cornell), with input from graduate students and postdocs.
When? Next held March 8-9, 2019
Previously offered: April 13-14, 2018; March 10-11, 2017; February 12-13, 2016.
The Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs is organized by the Cornell University Center for Teaching Innovation (CTI) and the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL at Cornell) in the Graduate School. Grant support from the National Science Foundation (DUE#:1231286) and Great Lakes Higher Education and Affiliates to Cornell as a subawardee of the national CIRTL Network allowed us to start this initiative in 2015-2016, and support from The Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) and Educational Testing Services (ETS) Award for Innovation in Promoting Success in Graduate Education: From Admission through Completion to Cornell University Graduate School allowed us to continue and expand it during 2016-2018. Entering our fourth year, we are pleased to have fully institutionalized it as a Cornell University initiative.
Registration for the March 8-9, 2019 session is now open at: http://bit.ly/iti-2019
For more information, please contact:
- Melina Draper, Associate Director for Inclusive Teaching, Center for Teaching Innovation (CTI) – 607-255-9797, email@example.com
- Colleen McLinn, Executive Director, Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL at Cornell) – 607-255-2030, firstname.lastname@example.org