Academic Job Search Series
All summer 2019 sessions will be brownbag discussions. Bring your own lunch, and we’ll provide drinks and dessert. RSVPs requested.
- Friday, September 20, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- 221 Weill Hall
- Discussion leaders: Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies, and Colleen McLinn, Executive Director of CIRTL at Cornell
- To cap off Postdoc Appreciation Week, we will have a fun and confidential opportunity to get your questions about the job search answered. Graduate students and visiting scholars are also welcome. Lunch provided. RSVP required.
- RSVP for September 20
October Job Search Discussion
- Friday, October 25, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- 221 Weill Hall
- Discussion leader: Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies
- A supportive and friendly environment for grad students and postdocs to get input on questions and concerns about the job search! Lunch provided. RSVP required.
- RSVP for October 25
Interviewing and Negotiation for Academic Positions
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- 102 Mann Library
- Presenters: Yael Levitte, Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity, and Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies
- This is a brownbag workshop. Bring your own lunch, and we’ll provide drinks and dessert. RSVPs requested.
- RSVP for November 13
Stay tuned for more sessions in 2020.
About the Series
In 2019-2020, we are offering two types of events, both co-sponsored by the Office of Postdoctoral Studies and CIRTL at Cornell. Questions? Contact the sponsoring Cornell Graduate School offices at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Job Search Workshops
Interested in learning more about the Academic Job Search process, and the materials you will need to gather for an application? Come to brown bag lunch workshops to learn more through presentations and activities. Remote connection may be possible via Zoom with advance arrangements. RSVPs are requested.
Job Search Discussion Groups
We are gathering a supportive community of peers where you can discuss your experience on the academic job market. Bring questions, problems, and things you’ve always wondered about to these monthly Friday lunch discussions aimed at doctoral students and postdocs. Catered lunch will be provided. RSVPs are required.
Presentations and Handouts
- Archived slides and handouts on Box (requires Cornell Net ID)
- Archived recordings on Cornell Video on Demand (requires Cornell Net ID)
Recent Events List
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- Presenter: Kim Holloway, Associate Director of Research Development, Office of Sponsored Programs
- Archived recording available; slides will be available soon
Note: Correction to information on print flyer
- Wednesday, July 24, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- Presenter: Jeffrey Werner, Associate Professor of Chemistry, SUNY Cortland
- Archived recording, slides, and handouts available
How to Approach the Research Plan in a Job Application (for a Research-Intensive University)
- Wednesday, July 17, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- Presenter: Marvin Pritts, Professor of Horticulture, Cornell University
- Notes will be available soon
- Wednesday, July 10, 2019 from 12:00-1:30 pm
- Presenters: Derina Samuel, Associate Director, Center for Teaching Innovation, and Colleen McLinn, Executive Director, CIRTL at Cornell
- Slides and handouts available
- Wednesday, June 12, 2019 from 12:00-1:30 pm
- Presenter: Christine Holmes, Director of Postdoctoral Studies
- Archived recording and slides available
- Wednesday, May 15, 2019 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm
- A brownbag panel discussion featuring postdoctoral scholars and graduate students who were offered faculty positions this year.
- Archived recording available
Past Series (2018 and earlier)